The Hospital Universitario Sanitas La Zarzuela's Obesity Unit has a multidisciplinary team that provides diagnosis, treatment, support and follow-up care.
- Plastic Surgeons
We have the technical and human resources necessary for effectively and safely performing all types of surgical techniques.
WHAT IS OBESITY?
Obesity is excess body fat that causes progressive weight gain. It is caused by eating more calories than the body is capable of consuming.
BODY MASS INDEX
The obesity level is defined by the BODY MASS INDEX (BMI). This is the most practical way to evaluate the level of risk associated with obesity.
BMI= WEIGHT (KG.)/ HEIGHT2 (M2)
- Normal is below 25
- Overweight is between 25 and 26.9
- Slightly obese is between 27 and 29.9
- Moderately obese is between 30 and 34.9
- Severely obese is between 35 and 39.9
- Morbidly obese is between 40 and 49.9
- Super morbidly obese is between 50 and 64.9
- Super/super morbidly obese is over 65
- Morbid obesity is defined by the WHO as an illness.
- In Spain, over half the adult population is overweight.
- Excess weight affects 19.3% of the population and is distributed by 23.3% among men and 15.3% among women.
- In recent years there has been an increase in obesity among the population.
CONSEQUENCES OF OBESITY
- High blood pressure
- Breathing troubles
- Sleep apnoea. Snoring
- Arthropathy (t degeneration, herniated discs)
- Heart disease
- Shortened lifespan
- Social withdrawal
- Feelings of guilt and helplessness
- Social rejection and isolation
- Clothing limitations
- Limitations on daily activities, hygiene and cleanliness
- Limited access to chairs, seats in modes of transportation
- Elevated school -out rate
- Limits on walking and using stairs
- Sexual limitations
Back to the list of units